Sunday, July 10, 2016

America And/Or Russia

Hold on tight This is going to be a bumpy post. I have lots of thought that I'm trying to put together into something coherent. These thoughts were triggered this morning by a visit to the Propertarianism [link] website, wandering from there over to Curt Doolittle's Facebook page [link], and coming across the quibcag quote. It may bewilder some, but I had enough Dostoevsky poured into me during my college years that I believe I know what he's getting at.

America and Russia have one thing in common, as the quote suggests: Both nations have a very strong sense of mission to enlighten all of mankind. This isn't unique to them — you'll find similar urges in other nations, particularly Britain and France — but it is very intense in them, and they're both big and powerful enough to implement these urges. Many nations, on the other hand, have no such sense of mission. China, for example, couldn't care less about the rest of mankind, and there are many other nations that feel the same way. Japan seems to think that efforts to enlighten barbarians are futile, and most third-world nations are too bollixed-up themselves to even think about such things.

But Americans and Russians go about this enlightenment in different ways. America has a bit of a Rotary Club attitude, and tries to enlighten the world by selling stuff to everybody. Better products and services will want to world to be more like America, you see. And that form of enlightenment has actually worked to some extent and is pretty benign. But in recent years, with the Neocon/Liberal takeover and the ascendency of Political Correctness/Cultural Marxism, our messianic urge has morphed into something less desirable. We've taken to imposing these new values onto the rest of the world through force and the threat of force.

As for Russia, a bit of reading in 19th Century Russian literature makes it clear that Russians feel a responsibility to enlighten the world through Christianity. But even then, there was also present the somewhat contradictory urge to enlighten the world through revolutionary philosophy — Nietzsche, Marx, etc. — which eventually took over the whole country and brought about a 70-year hiatus in Christian messianism in favor of communist messianism. (The two urges are personified in The Broothers Karamazov by the brothers Ivan and Alyosha.) Now they're pretty much back to Christianity, while the United States seems to have taken over responsibility for the spread of communism, but of course we call it "human rights" instead.

So when communism "fell" with the collapse of the Soviet Union, the communists didn't panic or despair. They just packed up all their pamphlets and moved over here. They're probably teaching your kids freshman English right now.
-------------------
Quibcag: I have no idea where I originally got the illustration.

4 comments:

  1. Exactly. Each culture uses the tools available to it. A Russian cannot understand the degree to which the constitution is a religious document of natural ( gods ) law. Meanwhile an American cannot understand the Russian concept of man nor how orthodoxy fulfills the same weapon of expansion as rule of law does to American ( Anglo Saxons ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both nations have a very strong sense of mission to enlighten all of mankind.

    This is the root of the problem of an interventionist foreign policy. This is why I despise our interventionist foreign policy.

    I have no desire to "uplift" or convert the rest of the world to being like me or to anything else. I simply do not believe in it. I despise and utterly reject the very concept of "mission".

    I am interested in only the autonomy to live my own life and seek fulfillment through my own life and actions. I just do not believe in anything outside of living my own life and pursuing my own personal dreams and goals. I have no interest in being a part of a larger picture or purpose. This is why I am described as a libertarian more than anything else.

    I want my country to have the same mentality as myself. I want to get rid of this concept of mission and have us become a commercial trading society that is the friend of liberty everywhere, but the defender of only our own. In this regard, I am more like the Chinese and Japanese in this regard (and have lived in both countries).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The author shows a clarity of vision concerning the tendency of some nations or peoples to desire control over others.

    However I would not agree that Russian Orthodox religion is active like that. Orthodoxy is quite limited outside of Slavic nations and only modest attempts are made to convert elsewhere.

    Russian Slavs also seem little inclined to build overseas empires, though they were keen enough to expand overland to the East of the continent. I contend that was just plain good sense to secure that quarter against invasion.

    Communism when it came was a function of Jewish manipulation. Marx was a Jew, and later, the whole movement was driven by Jews. This is the more important issue.

    Soviet attempts to then expand were the responses of Jewish control impulses, not Christianity.

    ReplyDelete