Sunday, April 17, 2016

Steve Sailer Crimethinks about "Crimethink" and other Newspeak Terms

I like to think of myself as being pretty insightful in matters ot things both political and linguistic, but Steve Sailer always leaves me in the dust. I go to several sites on the web every morning, but the very first one I visit is Steve's [link]. and as much as I want you all to come here daily, you all should do likewise. He has his own spot at the Unz Review, which also features work by a slew of indispensable writers from Ilana Mercer to Razib Khan to John Derbyshire.

Steve both understands and uses language far more deftly that the vast majority of writers, and one of his most productive methods is to riff on what he sees in the New York Times, always seeing things and patterns there that other people miss. Indeed, he's popularized the term "pattern recognition," and reminds us frequently that it's the basis of human intelligence. Or any intelligence.

This morning he's seized on a piece from the Times about a fairly new linguistic usage called "a thing," and tells us what it really means, and goes on to relate it all to "a thing" George Orwell called our attention to a lifetime ago. How's that for pattern recognition?

Is That Even a Thing?

1 comment:

  1. From what I've seen and heard, I take "...is that a thing?" to mean "is that real (or true)?". I may not have thought it so but for an essay by Poul Anderson, SF writer, written entirely in English words of Germanic origin. In it, he coined the word "thingish" to mean "real".
    If I remembered the title or where I read it, I'd include that.

    ReplyDelete