Friday, July 3, 2015

The Return of "My Cage"

One of my favorite comic strips was canceled some years back, and now it may be returning in a new format. My Cage, by Ed Power and Melissa DeJesus may well be the cutest damn comic strip that has ever existed, as is suggested by the illustration here of one of the main characters. Melissa is the artist, and while she's clearly influenced by anime, you'd never mistake her work for anime, because it has a tightness and, dare I say, realism, that anime seldom attains. But it's not just the irresistible artwork. Ed Power is one of the most creative gagwriters I've ever come across. Now, Ed is a flaming liberal, as far as I can tell, and I'm as far from that as you can get, so he has to be good to appeal to me so much, right? Actually, you could read through quite a bit of the strip and never know what his politics were, because that's not what it's about. It's about characters, relationships, and culture in general. The strip is always amusing, and is often absolutely hilarious.

Anyhow, Ed and Melissa have come up with a new paradigm to enable them to do the strip without starving to death. Read about it here:
https://www.patreon.com/mycage?ty=h

And do read down to the link, where you can read three years of the strip that have already been done. Consider becoming a patron. Seems reasonable enough to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment