Friday, June 12, 2015

Warriors and Mothers

A discussion worth reading is going on at Matt Bailey's Facebook site [link] about whether libertarians should join the armed forces. My answer, of course, is 'of course.' In the first place, there are tremendous benefits for young men (and I don't oppose young women joining, but the benefits are much less, and there are good reasons against it as well) in doing a hitch. It certainly did me a lot of good that way. And, most importantly, as the quibcag states, it is necessary for a tribe, race, nation, whatever subdivision of mankind you belong to, to have both male defenders to protect it and female mothers to continue it. Without these two things, the group goes out of existence and nothing else it might accomplish means much of anything. I remember reading somewhere years ago that Austria-Hungary gave the same medal that they gave to soldiers killed in combat to women who died in childbirth. I've been googling to confirm that, but I can't find anything. Anybody know about that medal?

At any rate, the truth is undeniable. A group without defenders or reproducers is biologically, philosophically, and a lot of other adverbs, irrelevant and meaningless.
---------
Quibcag: I used Amy from Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (翠星のガルガンティア Suisei no Garugantia), because she looks kind of tribal.

2 comments:

  1. not sure I want to defend the tribe that let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading an address given at West Point by Robert A. Heinlien. In it, he said the four most patriotic words one can utter are:

    Women and children first.

    ReplyDelete