Thursday, June 11, 2015

They just like to use these words....

I have vague memories of using words wrong when I was a kid. I learned to read early, so I was reading stuff and coming across words I didn't know, so I naturally tried to figure them out, and I frequently got it wrong. Not just the pronunciation, but the meaning. I specifically remember coming across the word 'insult' and thinking, for some reason, that it meant something good, so I defined it as a compliment of some sort. That happened with a lot of other words.

Well, as in the quibcag, a lot of people, not just kids, like to use popular words without knowing at all what they mean. In Seinfeld's story, his daughter seems to define 'sexist' as anything that in any way refers to sexual differences or sexual behavior. In like manner, 'racist' now seems to mean any reference to race in any manner by a White person.

Indeed, the operative part of the quote is "They just like to use these words." They've learned, not what the words mean, but that when you use them, people take you seriously and tend to grovel before you, so of course you use them whenever you have an excuse.

Steve Sailer has some insights on this here:
---------
Quibcag: Hinagiku of Hayate the Combat Butler (ハヤテのごとく! Hayate no Gotoku!) isn't a sullen fourteen-year-old girl, but she kind of looks like one in the illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment