Saturday, May 23, 2015

Another Liberal Knee-Jerkism

Many years ago, when Ex-Army wasn't Ex yet, a fellow soldier in my outfit, sort of a proto-White liberal, found himself compelled willy-nilly to point out to one of our Black fellow soldiers that Dianhann Carroll sure was beautiful. Here's a LINK for you youngsters who have never heard of her. He probably couldn't have told you himself why he felt that he had to do that. There were plenty of TV beauties in those days, from Elizabeth Montgomery to Julie Newmar, but he never felt that he had to point out their beauty to his fellow White soldiers or anybody else. Subconsciously, I imagine, he was trying to establish himself as a Good Guy who could appreciate the beauty of a Black woman, the hidden assumption being that most of us White guys couldn't.  The Black soldier rolled his eyes, not annoyed so much as bored, I think, by this behavior of a patronizing White liberal.

These day, though, White liberals say such things more to establish their right-thinking credentials with other White liberals than to impress Blacks, who are surely sick of it all by now.

But me, I'm like most White guys, and I'm seldom impressed by anybody Black, and I'm certainly not going to pretend I am when I'm not.

John Craig comments on the essential dishonesty and ditziness of such White liberal behavior on his blog here:
http://justnotsaid.blogspot.com/2015/05/conversations-with-liberal.html

Conversations with a liberal

Yesterday a liberal white woman said to me, "Oh, B.B. King died. He was one of my favorites!"

I asked her to name two of his songs besides "The Thrill is Gone." She was unable to name even one. I suggested that if he were really one of her favorites -- which would imply that she must have listened to him fairly frequently -- she ought to be able to name at least one song beside the one he was most famous for.

Why did she feel obliged to point out that King was one of her favorites if she almost never listened to his music? Did she think that this demonstrated how she was not racist? How sophisticated her musical tastes were?

There's something intrinsically dishonest going on here. This woman would never have seized upon the death of an old white musician to somehow prove her bona fides.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard this same woman -- who has no black friends -- volunteer that the black mayor of Baltimore, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, was "beautiful."

Again, this woman would never have felt obliged to point out that Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann were beautiful.

I'm not suggesting that B. B. King was not great, or that Rawlings-Blake does not have even features. I'm merely pointing out that there's something about using black people to prove your own virtue that is quintessentially liberal, and completely dishonest.

6 comments:

  1. Oh they're not dishonest they're delusional. You have to be crazy to prove you're not racist when you say race doesn't exist.
    If education was a cure for stupidity, Liberalism wouldn't even exist. Republicans are dumb, but liberals are stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen your stuff on FB in a while. Miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only other BB King song I can think of is the one that is sampled at the beginning and end (and a few points in between) of Primitive Radio Gods' "Standing at a broken phone booth with money in my hand," that goes "I've been downhearted baby, been downhearted baby, ever since the day you left, ever since the day you left."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, come on. Admit it: that mayer is hot. She'd make a great pole dancer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, come on. Admit it: that mayer is hot. She'd make a great pole dancer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in New Zealand (I am South African) I was invited by my neighbour to meet his cousin, a minister. We were in discussion about a black Zimbabwean whom he had helped to emigrate to NZ. and one of the first things he said about him was that he is very intelligent.

    ReplyDelete