Friday, January 9, 2015

Moi, je certainment ne suis pas Charlie Hebdo, et non plus Glaivester

Guest post by Baloo:

Again, I'm the cartoonist on this blog, so I'm fielding cartoon-related things. I'm not sure about the last part of that title. I'm trying to say:

"I'm certainly not Charlie Hebdo, and Glaivester isn't either."

But now I'm thinking the French might actually mean:

"I'm certainly not Charlie Hebdo, and I'm not Glaivester either."

But you all know what I mean.  Since the event, there have been heaps of "view with alarm" cartoons, with the usual blather about freedom of expression, etc., but so far, only Glaivester has done a "view with realism" cartoon. I'll reprint his post in full from http://glaivester.blogspot.com/2015/01/below-break-is-my-commentary-on-charlie.html

I Am Charles Martel


Below the break is my commentary on the Charlie Hebdo affair.  Given that we are supposed to show our courage by being willing to display offensive cartoons, I have decided to post the following cartoon, which is offensive to both Muslims and to those who are mourning Stephane Charbonnier.

You have been warned.

That is all.

--------------------


Description (French translated with Google Translate)
First panel: Stephane Charbonnier stands facing Marine Le Pen, Michel Houellebecq, who hold signs readings: "Keep France French," "Muslims want to conquer"
Second panel: Charbonnier points at Le Pen and Houellebecq, accuses them: Fascists! Nazis! Racists! Holds "Petition to ban the National Front" Le Pen and Houellebecq open their mouths and Le Pen points at Muslim (depicted as bearded man in turban) standing behind Charbonnier: "Behind you!"
Third panel: Muslim shoots Charbonnier through the head.  Sound effect: "Bang!" Le Pen and Houellebecq gape in horror.
Fourth (final) panel: Just a caption "F*** Charlie Hebdo.  I am Charlie Martel"

That is all.

1 comment:

  1. I foresee a t-shirt...

    Actually, I'd like to see t-shirts with a red St. George cross on the front...reminiscent of the surcotes of medieval Crusaders.... I'd wear one. Maybe I'll go to the custom shop and get one made.

    ReplyDelete