Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sunday Morning Miscellany

The morning began with me switching on the TV and hearing Ben Stein going almost ballistic in his passion for freeing Jonathan Pollard. He remarked that Pollard was only spying for "our best friend in the Middle East, Israel." With friends like that, who needs enemies? But, now that I think about it, I'm not sure who the referent of "our" is.  And even if what Stein said was valid (it wasn't), there's a lot more to Pollard than that. THIS from Steve Sailer.
.....
The other half of this blog, "Baloo," AKA Rex May, has started work again on his artificial language project, Ceqli. His blog is HERE. It'll probably never amount to anything, but it keeps him out of mischief.
.....
I'm in the middle of reading Tom Wolfe's Back to Blood, and like all his stuff, it's a prose feast. It's set in Miami, and I have a feeling I'm reading a Carl Hiaasen novel punched up by Mencken and a team of anthropoligists. I recommend it, of course.
.....
And Vulture of Critique continues to ponder the USA Deep State, and makes it personal. Go read it HERE.
.....
And a day or to, again on TV, I heard the lovable dope, Bob Beckel repeat the old chestnut that if women were in charge of politics, we wouldn't have so many wars. This is of course absurd, because all women politicians, with only a few exceptions, consider the world a great big day care center, and it's their job to make sure everybody behaves. We dads, of course, are much more likely to go for the live and let live policy. And that segues into:

Friday's post on feminism in the classroom drew a little flack, but the best result was that Quartermain sent me this hilarious link. It begins:

Catfights over handbags and tears in the toilets. When this producer launched a women-only TV company she thought she'd kissed goodbye to conflict...


Over in one corner sat Alice, a strong-minded 27-year-old who always said what she thought, regardless of how much it might hurt someone else. In the other corner was Sarah, a thirtysomething high-flier who would stand up for herself momentarily - then burst into tears and run for the ladies.

Their simmering fight lasted hours, egged on by spectators taking sides and fuelling the anger. Sometimes other girls would join in, either heckling aggressively or huddling defensively in the toilets. It might sound like a scene from a tawdry reality show such as Big Brother, but the truth is a little more prosaic: it was just a normal morning in my office.

The venomous women were supposedly the talented employees I had headhunted to achieve my utopian dream - a female- only company with happy, harmonious workers benefiting from an absence of men.

It was an idealistic vision swiftly shattered by the nightmare reality: constant bitchiness, surging hormones, unchecked emotion, attention-seeking and fashion rivalry so fierce it tore my staff apart.

When I read the other day that Sienna Miller had said there was no such thing as 'the Sisterhood', I knew what she meant.

I can understand why people want to believe that women look out for each other - because with men in power at work and in politics, it makes sense for us to stick together.

In fact, there was a time when I believed in the Sisterhood - but that was before women at war led to my emotional and financial ruin.

(Read the rest HERE.)
-------
Quibcag: The girls seem to be from an anime called Kanon (カノン).

2 comments: