Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Great Quibcag Controversy

Reactions from elsewhere on the net:

What's with all the anime sh*t?

Yes, what is with all the anime sh*t? It detracts from the seriousness of the content.

Memes work because they tickle the funny bone. I am pretty sure your quibcags do more to confuse people than anything. Also insightful quotes can make it viral, or the images of famous people with or without the quote being from them. The only thing these will do is make your blog pop up more in Google images with the "What's this?" factor playing in, imho. But yeah, that's the rationale. *shrug*

So what do YOU all think?  Do you like the quibcags?  Does their attention-getting power make up for their confusing nature? Do they detract from the seriousness of the message, or do they make it more palatable? Are humor and seriousness incompatible or complementary? Do please give us feedback in the comments section.

8 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really "get" the quibcags, though do I find humor and seriousness perfectly compatible in commentary, even when the humor doesn't grab me.

    I've had a few blogs of my own full of stuff that I *did* get, and on my best ever day had maybe a few dozen readers, so... you clearly know a lot more about this than I do.

    I like your blog and you like doing quibcags, so I won't hassle you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are going for just one reader, or even just one type, your ad revenue is going to suck, not to mention your reach. I recommend more conventional artwork to accompany the otherwise reasonable material you are presenting here. Anime is big with the under 30-set but sends a distinctly different message than "this is important material for your consideration." It's just the wrong vibe/message it sends is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use your Q's quite a bit on a my facebook page because I like the quotes on them, not for the anime. However, since I have some kook leftists who see my page I look on the anime characters as slightly disarming to most people, in a good way. No need to put up a quote with Hitler goosestepping down the street as the words scare these people enough as it is. Keep up the good work, Lewis33.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it. I like that 'disarming,' and that is indeed part of what I'm trying for. It's the old concept that you can sneak some truth in if you disguise it with humor. If you're on FB, have you "liked" Ex-army?
      https://www.facebook.com/ExArmyLibertarianNationalist

      Delete
  5. Well, I enjoy them and get them.
    I think the pictures add to the humor, and maybe it is a good thing to appeal to the under 30 set instead of just to the over 50 set.
    Like Ex-Army I am another old guy who enjoys anime.
    I also have been attracted enough by some of the character designs to seek out the original anime - Joshiraku, Suisei no Gargantia come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very gratifying to hear, especially that they've led you to looking up some of the anime. Some of it is shockingly good, really. Joshiraku is a scream, and Gargantia is really lovely to look at.

      Delete
  6. I for one like them. I don't watch anime but my brother does and it's always a delight to see him walk in and recognize a character.

    ReplyDelete