Monday, February 17, 2014

Critiquing Tom Sowell

I've come close to writing a general critique of Thomas Sowell before, but I haven't figured out the best way to approach it. The guy drips with wisdom, frankly, and I don't want anybody to take my criticism of him as diminishing him in any way.  And, the flaws I can find in him are the same flaws that the Zeitgeist reveres. To put it in as few words as possible, he's just a tad too much influenced by neocon thinking — the bad part, that is, of neocon thinking. He's too sympathetic to neocon thinking in foreign policy, and he's very reluctant, understandably so, to accept the differences among the human races.* And that's about it, really. Keep in mind that he's a tad weak in those two areas, and you can't go wrong reading Tom Sowell.

Anyhow, I don't need to do this critique now, because everybody who reads this blog knows how I feel about foreign policy, and as for the race thing, Nicholas Stix covers it all better than I could, and includes a video of Sowell discussing his latest book, HERE.

*I just got a comment from someone (you can read it below) which indicates I've not made myself clear. I mean that Sowell is reluctant to acknowledge intrinsic racial differences, but stubbornly hangs on to environmental causes for the differences, which just about all research invalidates.

2 comments:

  1. What the fuck? Weak? He's written several books about the differences among races. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Try reading Race and Culture. He's written plenty more. They're borne of research, not reactionary horse shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have made it clearer that he's reluctant to acknowledge the _intrinsic_ differences. You see the distinction? And I've read just about everything he's written, and his race material is valid, with that caveat.

      Delete