Monday, January 27, 2014

Say Nope to the Pope!

In my last post, I remarked:

Christian morality, except where leftists have twisted it out of shape, is a pretty good way to organize your life.

And, I would have thought that the meaning of that was pretty clear, but it got pounced on immediately, from "What do you mean by that?" comments to accusations that I obviously don't understand Christianity.

Well, I guess I should be clearer. What I have in mind is the self-destructive messages that "Christians" of the left-wing, or crazy, variety send out all the time. They've elevated compassion above any and all other Christian principles, and essentially called for suicidal behavior on the part of anybody who wants to call himself a Christian. I first encountered this Wacko-Christianity back in the civil rights days, when the principle of integration and brotherhood between races was so important that the bad effects of such policy were to be ignored or lied about, and any opposition or even questioning of the policy was taboo.

Now, I wasn't brought up in a church. My relatives and ancestors are mainly Quakers or Baptists, and they for the most part understand that suicide isn't required of a Christian (Though some of the Quakers are a little shaky on that), and they also realize that they can have compassion for people of other races without actually having sexual relations with them. 

And, I'm a big fan of C. S. Lewis, who nowhere calls for surrender to the Calormenes, but rather for warfare against them.  If there are any Christians out there who can explain why he's wrong about that, do write in and do so.

So why doesn't the Pope understand this?  I've been avoiding writing about him, because of my Quaker/Baptist background, but the Irish Savant has no such impediment, and on his blog HERE he writes:

A lesson in practical morality for Francis

You know, the more I see of Pope Francis the less I like.  He has all the appearances of being trendy and tolerant, in tune with the zeitgeist and not at all comfortable with this sin business. In 'reaching out' to gays he made the astonishing claim that  'it is not possible [for the Church] to interfere spiritually in the life of a person."  Well, if it's not 'interfering spiritually' then what exactly is the Church's purpose?

And if a good press is what you're after you can't beat the Immigration Industry.  And he's been fast off the mark here too. Visiting Lampedusa and demanding that all immigrants be 'given a home in Europe'.  Before Christmas, in another PR coup, he visited immigrants in Rome, handing out gifts and declaring that "a change of attitude towards migrants and refugees is needed on the part of everyone, moving away from attitudes of defensiveness and fear, indifference and marginalisation, all typical of a throwaway culture, towards attitudes based on a culture of encounter, the only culture capable of building a better, more just and fraternal world."

According to Catholic Online he then rounded it all off  by expressing the hope that countries would welcome migrants keeping the values of their culture of origin. So are we to assume then the millions of Muslims rampaging through the West will retain their quaint customs, ones like stoning to death for adultery, death for apostasy and death for insulting the 'prophet'?  And Africans retain  'values and customs' such raping children to cure AIDS, or killing and eating your enemies?

Seems like it.

Look, I have no love for the Catholic Church. Growing up in Ireland when I did I in fact came to detest the narrow-mindedness and rampant hypocrisy in which it wallowed. Gave up Catholicism by my mid-teens.  But now I see it as a possible ally in the fight against the cultural war on the West.  But Pope Francis won't be much of an ally. What he fails to realise is that pandering to contemporary moral standards might win him some grudging brownie point from the chattering classes and the representatives of the various sexual degenerates out there.  But it also leads to oblivion.

Look at the Church of England which has become the most trendy of all.  Eschewing the taking of moral positions on anything, it instead espoused a vapid New Age feelgood vibe, kumbaya.  They even appointed an incomprehensible African tribesman as their head honcho to demonstrate their bona fides. Yet, far from making it relevant to the new age, the institution is for all practical purposes moribund. Its churches empty, the few believers rapidly ageing and dying off.  You see, for better or worse, it's the old fire and brimstone uncompromising religions that are doing best.  No matter how bizarre their teachings and rituals.

So this Pope is leading his institution down the path of oblivion.

Going back to the immigration issue, Aristotle taught us that impractical morality is no morality at all. (No wonder he's hated by libtards).  There is nothing on this earth more impractical than allowing vast numbers of additional immigrants into Europe. No need for me to elaborate why, of course.  And, were we to take the Pope's suggestion, the inevitable consequence would be to turbocharge the stampede, increasing numbers by orders of magnitude.  Impractical morality of the purest kind.

So here I make a practical moral suggestion for Pope Frankie. Open up the Vatican to the huddled masses on your doorsteps. Giving them call cards at Christmas is all well and good, but Frankie, you said it yourself, we must welcome them into our houses.  You have a very  very big one just up the road, and a lovely - and very large - holiday home at Castelgandolfo. The immigrants would just love them. And you know what?  you would too, Frankie.  You see they're such wonderful people. You said so yourself.

So what about it, Nincompope?

3 comments:

  1. Eager Young SeminarianJanuary 28, 2014 at 12:30 AM

    Disgruntled Catholics are the worst. I love the Catholic Church, even though I am a Protestant, but the people that leave are the worst to deal with. I had to read a book by Dinty Moore (sp?) who was a disgruntled Catholic who then praised Buddhism, of the American hipster variety. Then there is the absolute worst, Bill Maher, who made a movie which he thought could be called a documentary where he decided to question the theology of low hanging fruit. People loved it because it made their half thought out atheist views legit. But if was actually concerned with understanding he would have gone to I don't a seminary trained person, maybe even someone with a doctorate in theology.

    It may surprise you to know, but even though I am a liberal Christian and I believe in social justice I am not about ecumenics, not in the slightest. I dont like interfaith or even always interdenominational stuff. It is because we try to smooth out differences to such a point where people believe religions are all the same, which they aren't, if I thought that I would be unitarian or Bahi or some nonsense like that. I may be going for ordination in the UCC but I am against congregationalists and I am a hard core Lutheran. While I do believe in the larger Church community, and would not exclude certain groups there are others I would most certainly exclude. Mormons are the best example, the UCC talks with them but if it was up to me the Mormon church in all its forms would be dissolved and the Book of Mormon seen for the con that it is. For me that is loving, I love the Gospel and others enough where I am not going to cheapen who Christ is to make people play nice. Not sure the point of that was but I felt the need to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eager Young SeminarianJanuary 28, 2014 at 12:35 AM

    My last post more or less turned into one stream of thought, so I realize that it is probably a grammatical nightmare, so if you are going to be critical of something in it, cut me some slack on the structure and limit yourself to analyzing the ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Luther was a great writer that is delightful to read. John Calvin was a Sahara dry writer, that took great effort to read. Probably that's why there are more Lutherans than Calvinists.

      Eramus was very delightful to read, and funny.

      M. L. was as will.

      Delete