Monday, November 18, 2013

Remembering National Lampoon and JFK

Guest post by Baloo. 

The Indispensable Steve Sailer has performed yet another public service by posting a link to the rather amazing "Fifth Inaugural" issue of National Lampoon. Now, I didn't write any of the Kennedy material (much as I wish I had), but that was back when I was a contributing editor there, for awhile, and I did write some short stories and comic strips there. I guess you have to have whiskers to remember NatLamp at all these days, though some youngsters may think of it in connection with the Animal House and National Lampoon's Vacation series.

This is a public service, because if you go to the link and fool around with the URL, you can find other issues of NatLamp from that era, and either reawaken fond memories if you're a geezer like me, or learn what real satire was back then. And you can try to figure out what I wrote in it — All of my stuff was pseudonymous.

3 comments:

  1. didn't they pay you contributing editors with multiple copies of that particular issue? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, no. Just money. Those were the days :)

      Delete
  2. When JFK was shot, I was two years and seven months old, so I don't remember where I was when he was killed.

    To me, JFK was a glorified meth head and I didn't care much for his successors either.

    ReplyDelete