Monday, October 21, 2013

Of "Former" and "Ex"

I just changed the logo, because I've been told that to many people, saying that I'm "ex-Army" implies that I left the Army under some kind of shadow, like a dishonorable discharge or something, and that the preferred term is "former Army." I don't remember it working that way in my day, but that was a long time ago and in any case, I thought I'd better clarify matters. I'm not changing the blog's name or my handle because it's bookmarked all over the place by now, and, besides, "former Army" would be a very awkward name. Anyhow, as the new logo says, I served with honor if not distinction from 1968 to 1971 and was honorably discharged from active duty, and three years later, discharged from the inactive reserves. I'm a little too old and a lot too fat to be in the Army right now, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, and I can't imagine what a concept I'd have of the military right now if I hadn't been in it myself. Especially as I come from a quite non-military family.

So, if anybody's been under the impression that I got tossed out of the Army, I apologize for the confusion.  We now return to our regularly-scheduled blogging.

2 comments:

  1. I always understood what was meant, but this will clarify completely.

    Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off topic but hilarious: http://kennsvideos.blogspot.com/2013/10/obamas-staged-fainting-act-exposed.html

    ReplyDelete