How often does this happen?
Apparently so frequently that it fails to qualify as news.
Derek Moore, 30, was found beaten on the side of US Hwy. 51 in Fulton County, Kentucky on Sept. 24, 2011. Moore died hours later after being air-lifted to a hospital in Nashville, Tennessee.
Three black males were arrested for their role in the murder.
The senseless beating death of a White man by three blacks merits no media attention.
The reason? Black on White crime, even murder, occurs too frequently to capture the attention of America's national news organizations. It merits little ink from local newspapers and, when it is reported, the racial aspect is ignored or purged.
It should be noted that the title of this post, Kentucky's White Trayvon, is a bit misleading. Trayvon was killed in self defense whereas Derek Moore was brutally murdered. Had Moore been armed, as was George Zimmerman, he may still be alive.
Had Moore been black and his attackers White, the story would have been an above-the-fold front-page story on every major newspaper. Cable and network news programs would have led with it as they expressed their dismay and outrage that racism still runs rampant in America.
How do I know? Think James Byrd.
Byrd was 49-years-old when attacked by three White men. News reports assured us that the attackers were white supremacists, stoking the racial angle to the story.
Like Moore, Byrd died after his attack. Unlike Moore, Byrd's death commanded national headlines for weeks. Fourteen years after the attack, the media continues to evoke his name to rub salt in the racial wounds that are innate to multiculturalism.
In short, Byrd's death served a purpose and was, therefore, exploited. Moore's death did not serve a purpose and, in fact, contradicted the perception of White privilege. It was, therefore, ignored.
Think Trayvon Martin.
The sordid details of a family man defending himself against an attack from a gold-toothed, hooded black teen need not be rehearsed. That story is fresh in our minds.
The contrast, however, merits notice. Trayvon's death commanded national media attention because the shooter, George Zimmerman, was not black. Although Zimmerman lacked the preferred credentials of a White male, the media ran with the story. White-on-black shootings are too rare to wait. It could be years before another James Byrd tragedy presents itself. It was the closest they could find. (It turns out that the half-Hispanic Zimmerman has African ancestry.)
The burden of truth falls upon the shoulders of a paltry few: those of us who bother to prowl the Internet in search of unfiltered news, scratch the surface of black-on-White violence, and publish our findings.
A search for black-on-White murder produced dozens are results for past few weeks.
Here's a sampling of what I found.
• South Carolina - Joseph J. DeVivo, 87, was a widowed White grandfather who lived alone. Arrested for the murder is a 31-year-old black male, Rico Herbert.
According to police records and news reports, Herbert broke into DeVivo's home to commit burglarly, murdered DeVivo, stuffed his body in the trunk of DeVivo's Chevy Malibu and drove him to a river where he disposed of his body. Herbert kept the car and DeVivo's wallet. He was tracked to North Carolina using mapping data and cell tower hits from several cellphones.
• Tennesee - David Martin, 27, was a White pizza manager who was gunned down outside his South Nashville apartment. As Martin returned home after work, he was approached by a black male who pulled a gun and demanded money. As the black thief left with Martin's money, he pulled his own gun and demanded he stop. The robber turned and fired, killing Martin. Witnesses described the black suspect as wearing a Trayvon-style hoody.
• Kentucky - Brett Thornberry, 18, was shot to death. A grand jury charged a 16-year-old black male as an adult with robbing and killing him. Indicted was Romello Rice, a former Holmes High School football player. A black 15-year-old has been arrested and charged with complicity to commit robbery and murder in connection with his death.
• New Jersey - Lena Triano, 57, was found bound, raped, strangled and with multiple stab wounds at her house in 1976. Nearly forty years later Carlton R. Franklin, a black male who has spent nearly 20 years behind bars for kidnapping and robbery since the murder, has been arrested for the crime. Franklin was 15 at the time of the murder.
• Texas - Randall Perkins, 20, was murdered in his home during a gathering of friends. Arrested is a black 22-year-old black male, Leandre “Dre” Vonzell Hill. News reports indicate that Vonzell was an uninvited guest who crashed the party with a group of black companions. Another White man, Paul Benavides, 24, was also shot, but survived.
The above are five of the most recent black on White murders. Hundreds occur each year with little or no media attention.
• Ohio - Matthew Dugan, a 34-year-old White male was shot in the head during a robbery at the former BP gas station. Anthony Belton, a black male, was sentenced to death by lethal injection for the murder.
• Dave Shotkoski, 30, was a White relief pitcher for Atlanta Braves. Shotkoski was killed as he returned to his hotel during Spring training. Neal Evans was charged with second-degree murder. That was due in part to a teammate who was determined to track down his killer. Evans was released from prison ten years early.
Again: Unlike the Trayvon episode, the above were murders; not acts of self defense.
There are literally hundreds of recent news accounts of black-on-White murders in the United States. Later this evening I plan to add a few more accounts.